Monday, January 30, 2012

Sleek Home Fortress Design

I've been working on about a dozen articles that are in various stages of development and will try to get back to a regular posting schedule very soon, but for now I thought I would post this interesting clip of a monolithic residential construction project outside of Warsaw, Poland.



I'm not sure that the stark, bunker-like architectural features of the main house will have aesthetic appeal to many outside of devoted modernists and survivalists, but the visual lines could always be spruced up with some titanium curves(a la Gehry/Bilbao Guggenheim) or perhaps a copper ziggurat-style tower (a la Said Business School at Oxford). In any case, I think this type of structure would be particularly striking as a beach house; the sliding fortress walls and drawbridges take the concept of "storm shutters" to the next level, and they would certainly come in handy here in Florida during a severe hurricane season.

One would think that the interior of the house probably should reflect a crypto-capitalist loft sensibility---hardwood floors, granite tiles, white walls, large and multifunction living spaces, a minimalist approach to furniture, the garage with the Rover and the Aston, the inevitable high-security armory with a brace of tricked-out M4s... Perhaps our old friend Mark Evans could even contribute one of his extraordinary knife-etched leather art pieces to adorn a wall:



(Welsh artist Mark Evans made this dramatic samurai scene by slicing and shaving leather with a handful of knives and scalpels)

5 comments:

  1. This is very cool and I'll be disappointed if you don't have one immediately. But I have to ask: WTF is a crypto-capitalist loft sensibility? I'm not sure what a crypto-capitalist is either, but they don't sound like the kind of people who would want their sensibilities dictated to them. They might not invite you across the armored drawbridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fear that the video clip of this Cobra Commander superbase must have combined with a William Gibson novel and lingering MMA-induced head trauma. As a result, I don't even know what I meant by "crypto-capitalist loft sensibility"---I had a picture in my head of this international arms dealer giggling as he hit the remote to put his house in lockdown mode.

      Delete
    2. The large cat lounging on the drawbridge did make me think of Bond-style villains; if only it had been white.

      Delete
  2. Wood siding?
    I assumed carbon fiber at the least...[disdainful sniff]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, you are a true aesthete, my friend!

      "An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one." ~Charles Horton Cooley

      Delete